Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Rock Concert Without Electricity?

My sister and I were lounging around on the trampoline a few nights ago and were talking about random things. One of these random things was how funny it would be if, during a rock concert, all the power turned off. I can imagine all these people who were previously waving around, suddenly feeling very conspicuous and wondering how fast they can get out of there. The soloist(s) would be left yelling at a blank microphone. Only the first three rows of the audience would hear them, and they would realise how bad they sound. The drummer would be as loud as ever, and the guitarist would be left pinging notes out of his instrument. Everything is dark, and people realise how ridiculous it all was. Their emotions are turned off like a light switch, and they are left standing there to think. Then the backup power comes, the lights turn on, the smoke starts up, the amplifier turns on with a bang, and the soloists don't sound so bad. Everyone is startled because the noise starts up once more so loudly and so suddenly. But they go right back to waving around and being drowned out by their emotions.

How easily our emotions are turned on and off, but do we let that get in the way of trying to learn more about God? Our we always in such an emotional hype that we don't even give ourselves a chance to think and to ponder?

4 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

How easily our emotions are turned on and off, but do we let that get in the way of trying to learn more about God? Our we always in such an emotional hype that we don't even give ourselves a chance to think and to ponder?

Thought provoking. In many regards, how often are persons simply influenced by the spirit of the age? Emotions can be turned on off through influence, but is there a concern for objective truth?

Ben&Brit said...

Hey, Abbs, that's an interesting ending! (You didn't tell me that when you told me about it :D)

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to tell me that Bob Dylan wouldn't sound good when the power goes out? Oh...that's right...he doesn't sound good anyway! Bad example!

Our emotions really can get in the way of our meditating on God and His wondrous works. We should try to get in the habit of occasionally slowing our life down so that we can "Be Still and Know that I Am God".

Good thoughts Abbey!!!!!!!!!!! (Oops, I'm letting my emotions get the better of me. Let's try this...)
Good thoughts Abbey! (Ah...that's better:-)

See 'ya Sunday
jj

Abbey said...

Ben-didn't tell you because I was still mulling it over. Besides, you wouldn't have wanted to hear me go on and on about it for hours.

Just realised that I'm getting pretty good at this skill of finding a nice little story to go along with everything... gahh.

Exactly, Jason. That's why I'm kind of down on church services that just grab you emotionally and don't really teach you anything (music, teaching, etc.), though I probably tend to swing way too far the opposite way. I kind of like to be in control of everything, in case you haven't noticed. :S By the way, you're never going to let that exclamation point thing drop, are you?