Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri

Yup, we drove through the best part of the United States. Flat ground, green trees, wheat, corn, cows, bugs, humidity, sweat, windmills, tornadoes, and never a turn in the road for hundreds of miles. You guessed it! The Midwest.

We drove to Topeka, Kansas the first day. Jacob thought he would like it, and he was excited - for the first three hours of nothing.Of course, the green pillow had to come along.






Windmills that take more power to mix their concrete base than they produce in their lifetime.Evil, evil oil drilling...An oasis in the middle of Kansas! Bet you can't guess where this sign was from...I was a little surprised how many of these types of signs are wandering around in the middle of Kansas.A Kansas mountain! Gahh...brings back bad memories of a book I was forced to read.After not such a good night of sleep, I was very glad to find the green pillow waiting for me in the car.Ben started pouting when I told him he couldn't use it. He started tattling on me, so I let him have it.Jacob even got to be a privileged one to use it. Jacob is very sensitive to light.I thought for sure that Ben would like to hear the same story for the third time...
...but he wasn't. I think that Hawaii would benefit from a few more of these signs.

Believe it or not, I don't think I have ever seen a real live pig. Not an experience I would care to repeat...A great license plate.

I think I have just about perfected the skill of taking pictures of oneself.Ben, on the other hand, hasn't.



I have even gotten pretty good at taking pictures of several people.

Ben enjoying misery.




One of our favorite places to stop. This one wasn't any ordinary rest stop, however...





...It was a quality award winner!
No wonder! It had a three-in-one hand washer! 1. squirts soap onto you 2. sprays water at you for a long time 3. blasts you away with air.



It was even made by MoDOT!

And this rest area had vending machines!I wanted all three 144 free black cats...

...but then I saw what they looked like.

Finally in Missouri... The stadium behind the sign is where the Kansas City Chiefs play.
Some excitement passed us! And some more!And some more!Yippee! A Motel 6!Then all my hopes were dashed. We passed it up. A dead snake. This building brought back fun memories.


When I started acting really weird just thinking of that building, Ben attempted to have a few of his wise ways ware off on me.It didn't work too well.Almost to our destination - Columbia.

And we returned to our colorful Colorado.

6 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Evil, evil oil drilling...

;) Yes, and our local BC government now has placed a carbon tax on gas purchases.:(

The OZ museum looks interesting. I have not been to any of those three states.

Abbey, in my opinion you have that up and coming University intellectual look to you...especially the photo with 'Ben, on the other hand, hasn't.' under it.

No 'dumb blonde' here, eh.

I will have to wear braces for part one of my jaw surgery process, and my teeth are not very crooked. The teeth need to be moved forward as the jaw will be. I need to wear them for a year and then my mandible and maxilla jaw bones will be moved forward 12 mm. Here the provincial government will pay for the medical, but not the orthodontic work which is obviously stupid. Here is it socialized medicine some of the time.

I added to the satire article, which you may have seen already.

Russ:)

Sarcastic Sally said...

Looks like a horrib--uh, I mean FUN trip!

I've always wanted to go to Arrowhead Stadium, but without going to Missouri...

That map Jacob is holding must be really old (because I'm pretty sure someone already discovered Kansas).

Ah yes, good ol' Colby with it's fake palm trees, odd gas/pizza/coffee/Quiznos/donut smell, and glorious, glorious air conditionning.

Man, I gotta get me one of those green pillows. Maybe then I wouldn't keep having dreams about white pillows every night.

Great self-portraits! I've mastered the art of taking self-portraits that make me look like I have 5 chins, but I think I like your style better.

Don't you hate those bars they put around rest stop vending machines -- it makes them so hard to shake free stuff out of. :-P

Ok, enought random comments.
Great post, BTW. :-D

Ben&Brit said...

Danke, Abba! Very mooch work, by the looks of it :D

Steven said...

AAHHHH!! YOU TOOK PICTURES IN THE RESTROOM!!!!

Man, those were great! And the captions! lol!

Thanks for sharing your grand adventures! I wish our motels had signs like yours... It can be quite startling when you see a 400lb guy without a shirt on..

Ruth said...

You know, don't you, that Oklahoma is not that far from Kansas and Missouri? You should have come....

Michael said...

Wowee. We just drove through there the other day.