Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cement or Concrete?

No, it's not an option.
You know that white/gray stuff they use for sidewalks? Do you know its ingredients?
  • water
  • aggregates (sand, crushed stone, etc.)
  • chemical mixtures for various reasons

AND

  • CEMENT

Do any of you know what cement looks like? This:

I don't know about any of you guys, but I have never, ever been able to build something that is strong out of this fine, powdery stuff.

And this supposed "cement" shrine?I would like to meet the master who got cement to stay in that shape.
I am going to go eat an egg. Here is a picture of it:Confused? You should be. I was just showing you what it's like when someone talks about a cement sidewalk when cement is only an ingredient of the sidewalk.
No, it's not an option. It's not like deciding whether to say Either or eIther. Cement and concrete are two different things, and unless you want people to think you have no knowledge of building materials, please call the white/gray stuff concrete.

4 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

My Dad used to be an asphalt technician and told me the difference between concrete and cement when I was a little guy.:)

Steven said...

Thank you!
I only wish this post would solve the problem.

I think the problem was caused by the Beverly Hillbillies and their "Cement Pond"

Now, if you can only get people to understand this mystery, you will be set for life.

Ben&Brit said...

Way to go, Abb!

Anonymous said...

Cool Pst. IF you are looking for ways to dress up concrete or even change it from gray to color I have found rocking ideas and landscapes at http://www.concreteideas.com/concrete_ideas/concrete_patterns_engraving
Glad you explained it though :) Keep up the good work.