Monday, December 1, 2008

MEH!

Yes, it is true. Only four months and two days until Beth's birthday. No, I'm not saying "meh" to her birthday, I'm talking about the word meh itself.

Yes, you heard it, folks! According to World magazine, meh is becoming an official word! Indeed, this is time for celebration.

"Need a word for an expression of indifference or boredom? The new Collins English Dictionary published by HarperCollins now has an official way to say it: "Meh." The expression will find its way into the dictionary's 30th anniversary edition after gaining popularity on an episode of the television show The Simpsons in 2001. In the episode, Homer suggests taking a day trip with his children. Bart and Lisa are nonplussed by the offer. "They both just reply 'meh' and keep watching TV," said Cormac McKeown, head of content at Collins Dictionaries."

There you have it, Beth. Your wish granted even before your birthday occurred.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just read that in the World magazine about a hour ago. What a small world we live in.

Steven said...

Heh, yeah.. Stupid "MEH"
So, guess television really has more of an impact in our non television watching lives than we think.

Sarcastic Sally said...

For the record, I never saw that episode. :-P
I always thought "meh" was more of a sound than a word, along with "blat."

Steven said...

That is a good point, I never remember seeing that episode either. I hadn't heard anyone using the word before you started saying it in normal conversation.. I think that went right along with loads of "Simmish"... we'll just stop there.

Anonymous said...

A resulting vat pales inside a seen hatred. Why does the detective mouse fishes without a same leaflet? Because a real saint swears its air into the frozen bucket. Your hatred and bigotry is obvious.

Sarcastic Sally said...

Sounds like "Line" has spent a little too much time staring at their computer lately.

I got to type "sallyg" for the word verification! Yahoo!

Ben&Brit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abbey said...

Are you making fun of my word verification, SS? I chose that one especially for you.
You got to love Lines that come into your life... And by the way, I have no doubt that the reason the mouse fishes without a same leaflet is not because saints swear.

Great Googly Moogly! said...

"I have no doubt that the reason the mouse fishes without a same leaflet is not because saints swear."

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! One crate dishes glass apple wear. Therefore crust ensures enchanted rubber chickens.

"MEH!"