Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Folly of the Exclamation Point

The exclamation point.

Something used way too often by some people and used only when it is needed by others.

Using exclamation points is a dangerous trap for many people - especially when they want people to take them seriously. Some people use it anytime they would raise their voice - even slightly. Other people use it whenever they find something to be interesting. In the case of someone writing a paper about something they enjoy, the exclamation point would come after every sentence.
The problem with exclamation points? There are many.
  • It gets very irritating for the reader to realize that if they glance down the page, every single paragraph has an exclamation coming after the last sentence.
  • It starts to make the reader think the author is totally unstable both in emotions and in character.
  • It makes the reader think they're missing something important - why does the author think this is interesting enough to keep using exclamation points? Did I miss something?
  • Ever had someone try to make you excited about something that isn't interesting? You know how extremely bored you get? That's what it is like to have an author SHOUTING AT YOU and trying to get you to be excited over something that is boring.
  • Once the reader figures out the author doesn't seem to have a key with a period on their keyboard, they start shutting down and just get irritated by how poorly the author writes.
  • After this, the reader starts laughing about how amateur this author seems to be - no matter how hard a subject the author chooses.
  • The reader, finally so disgusted with the overuse of the exclamation point, slams the book closed. They then decide that the author's knowledge on the subject is inadequate.

Only one exclamation point per paragraph. Period.

10 comments:

Michael said...

Ditto! Everybody needs to hear this! This is so good! Lets start a revolution against explanation points!

Seriously though, the world needs to cut back. You make a good point.

Ruth said...

Oh!!! But I like exclamation points!!! :-)

Steven said...

HA! How else are you supposed to make a exclamatory point without using the exclamation point! What do you want from us?! AAAAAHHHHH!

I totally agree with you!
I'd think people should reserve this special character for sentences that are of the exclamatory type, but it doesn't seem the case.

I usually don't overuse the exclamation point, I overuse ".." or "..."

I wonder if everyone used the question mark instead of the exclamation point, how confusing life would be? right!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Yes, the exclamation point is sometimes overused, but it is great for cartoons.

Russ;)

Great Googly Moogly! said...

Hmm...are you trying to tell me something?! Wait a minute, I cant HEAR YOU!! I said, ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME SOMETHING?!

Coming soon: The Great Googly Moogly explains "Great Googly Moogly"!!

Is it too late to go back and change out most of my (!) to (.)? :-)

Of course, I think you make valid point (even without an exclamation point). I know I use way too many !!; but I am the Great Googly Moogly, afterall.

Why don't you consider a post about italics and bold? Mr. Worm just showed me how to use these and you know me...when I find a new "toy" I tend to use and abuse it!

Very well done, Abbinator. I'll try to start controlling myself! :-)

See 'ya tonight?

jj

Great Googly Moogly! said...

Ok...some of you knew this was coming. Since I don't know how to embed "links", you'll just have to copy and paste the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rd7j-aSqFU

As a bonus, you get to learn another language! (oops, habit, sorry).

GGM

Abbey said...

lol - belieive it or not, GGM, I wasn't actually speaking to anyone in particular. I haven't actually noticed that you have an overuse of exclamation points. I'm actually referring to the author of my history course. She's the one that needs to read this... The video was really funny! However, why couldn't you have found one in Spanish? I mean, come on! Probably half the people reading this blog could've figured that one out...! Wow. Slow down. That was three exclamation points in one paragragh.

About links - if you go to the blogger portion of your google acount and click on the "help" section, just type in "hyperlink", and you'll find how to do it.

Tonight it is. See you later.

Abbey said...

Thanks for the comment, Russ. The difference is, comics are supposed to make you laugh - a paper about something that's supposed to teach you something isn't necessarily supposed to make you laugh. But I do agree. The more exclamation points per comic, the better. :P

I'm with you, Steve. I don't usually use exclamation points, but when it comes to "...", I way overuse. I've started to realize that if I glance down an email I've written, almost every paragraph ends with it. Somehow, I don't think it's as annoying, though. :P <--- that's the other thing I do at the end of every paragragh. :P <--- See? ---> :P

Lol, Michael. I'm not sure too many people would join our revolution. Some people blame the non-exclamation-point syndrome on just not wanting to show any emotion, but I blame the overuse-of-the-exclamation-point syndrome on a poor writing style. :D <---wow. I've graduated to a new smiley!

Ben&Brit said...

Hey, Abs, how come I always manage to forget to comment on your blog?

Sorry :'(

Anonymous said...

GGM That Youtube video was sooo hilarious!