Monday, November 3, 2008

The Chiropractor or the Manipulative Osteopath?

There are several things that most people in the Western World seem to be addicted to: chewing gum, talking on phones, caffeine, staying up late and complaining about being tired the next morning, and getting their backs worked on. All the addictions up to getting your back worked on are brought upon your own self. When it comes to injured backs, however, there is nothing that can be helped. It seems to be somewhat hereditary, and it is painful.

Most people, when confronted with an injured back, head straight off to the chiropractor. Others, however, head off to their osteopath. So, what are the similarities and differences, and which one is better?

Both...
...try to rid you of aches and pains.

Osteopaths...
...also put an emphasis on trying to cure respiratory and digestive problems.
...try to keep a person's radiation exposure down by trying to get by with as few X-rays as possible.
...usually have to spend more time with a patient, but the patient doesn't generally have to go back for a second treatment after an injury.

Chiropractics...
...only concern themselves with aches and pains.
...greatly rely on X-rays.
...usually have to have their patients come back for several treatments per injury.

So, what is the difference? It's all in how they approach how to fix your back.

Chiropractics, on the one hand, move bones. When your back is injured, it is most likely because your spine is no longer properly aligned. Your spine is what supports everything, so that puts pressure in places there should be none. A chiropractic's approach just moves the bones. Unfortunately, the muscles and fasciae that surround those bones have all ready moved to their new location, so when the bones are moved, the muscles will actually just pull the bones right back to the injured location. Throughout each treatment, the muscles are slowly moved to where they need to be again.This is why it often takes several treatments to finally get the bones where they need to be.

Osteopaths, on the other hand, work on the actual muscles. They will work to bring the muscles to where they need to be and not worry so much about the bones. This causes the muscles to pull the bones to where they need to be. With the muscles all ready in place, there is really no need to worry that everything will "spring back." These muscles pulling the bones back in place often leave the patient rather sore, but the results are often much better.

So, for your next back injury, what will you do?

12 comments:

Ben&Brit said...

I will hang from the celing and tie a 500lb weight to my feet.

LOL -- Sorry. Good post, Abs! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Lol Ben, that would really straighten things out...

Steven said...

I actually have never thought of either.. I use to ride my bike so much that it really helped my back.. Now, however, I am getting old and frail, so it might be time to find a good osteopath and rest home.

Jowy H said...

I prefer to do the exact same thing that I did when I hurt myself... That way it usually just kind of crunches its way so far out of line that it's actually back in line. And yes, that was supposed to make sense.


Why do you have word verification on?!!! Do you not like the thrill of clicking here and not knowing where you'll go next?

Great Googly Moogly! said...

Hmmm...I wonder if Mrs. Moogly has considered osteopathy?

I've offered to walk on her back, but she's always turned me down. I told her I wouldn't do the "riverdance" or "the Twist"...just a simple "waltz". Maybe if I give her a choice between this and mr. worm's idea?

Missed you guys last night...come to think of it, we missed you at "The Swill" also. I got to (had to?) ride the roller coaster--very cool!

See 'ya Sunday!

jj

Abbey said...

LOL, Ben. And knowing you, you probably would do that...

Old Man Steve - if you won't even get a broken toe looked at, I doubt you would go for a back problem. :P Just teasing...

Jow - Makes perfect sense! A little bit is bad, more is the best. Same thing with books - you read it forward, you've read it. You read it backwards, you've unread it. And yes, that was supposed to make sense too. I refuse to click there!!!

JJ - I wasn't actually trying to pick on people. I don't actually care what people decide to do - I'll save all my steam for forcing my view of exclamation points on people. :P Yup, no classes this week. Had a concert on Wednesday I had to go to and a rehearsal on Thursday. I'm going to be so glad when this week is over...

Steven said...

Well, in response, I think that going to a doctor for a broken toe doesn't make sense.. Me- "Hello, Doctor, I think my toe is broken." Doctor- "Well, look at that! I believe you have a broken toe." Me- "So, Doc, what should I do?" Doctor- "Well, I would suggest to not walk on it." Me- "I paid you $90 TO TELL ME NOT TO WALK ON IT?!" Doctor- "Yes."

:)

Abbey said...

Sure, but maybe the doctor might have convinced you that jumping on a pogo stick with a broken toe isn't such a great idea.

Believe it or not, I actually avoid the doctor at all costs. :P

Steven said...

LOL, ok, ok..
I'll give you that.. You win. :)
I shouldn't have jumped on the pogo, but hey, Ben told me to. I have to do everything he tells me.

Back to the main subject.
Ben was so happy after getting his muscles mushed I thought about doing it; however, I am too lazy, and fortunately remembered to never believe Ben.

I just typed in "calphin" for your word verification and it made me think of Calvin and Hobbes, when Calvin turns into a robot, and walks around talking funny. :)

yeah, I know.. random.

Jeff @ Market Seattle Chiropractor said...

It's important to keep an open mind about chiropractors and generally everything in life. One bad experience doesn't mean that chiropractic care in general is bad.

Seattle Chiropractor said...

Every time I visit the chiropractor, I feel like I'm being lied to. I generally feel fine besides some slight pain in my lowerback, but stretching always helps.

Seattle Back pain said...

I'm sorry to hear that you feel lied to. If it happens again, a little research online can go a long way in terms of making sure you are getting the proper treatment. Bring your concerns to your doctor, and definitely visit multiple chiropractors to get multiple opinions.